KANCHI MAHA SWAMI
In Chettinadu, a South Indian place,
Called Illaiyatrankudi Town, is famous
For eight ancient Lord Siva Temples,
Attracting local and outside devotees.
Eight Shiva Temples are at Pillaiyarpatti
Nemam, Kurakudi, Varaivanpatti,
Irandiyur, Illuppaikkudi, Velangudi,
And one more at Illaiyatrankudi.
At Illaiyatrangudi Lord Kailasanathar,
And His Consort Nithya Kalyani were
Blessing all the visiting devotees,
From local and distance places.
The former Kanchi Mutt’s 65th Head,
Sri Maha Devendra Saraswathi Swamigal,
In the year 1890, camped in this Temple,
And various places he daily visited.
At one location, he saw a thick bush,
And for a purpose, he placed his wish
Before the local authorities, to donate
That lush green area to Kanchi Mutt.
They gave him willingly that place,
For the Kanchi Mutt’s better use,
And in that place he was buried,
On 20-03-1890, when he died.
O’er his Samadhi, they installed
Adi Sankara and a Deity Lingam,
And all visiting devotees worshiped
His Samathi as sacred one for them.
After visiting this Guru’s place,
And paying Guru his due respects,
Maha Swami, with his followers,
Proceeded then, back to his place.
Like this, he had been moving
From place to place, visiting
Every ancient temple on his way,
Worshiping the Deities every day.
This gave a valuable opportunity
For all the devotees, on the way,
To gather at one place to see him
And earn his blessings all the time.